Friday, May 18, 2012

the crazy things I'll do for a weekend in the Barossa Valley

Don't they say that the definition of insanity is repeating the same mistake and expecting a different outcome?

Before 2011 half-marathon | And after, with my sister and a lot of bubbles!
Enjoying the Barossa: At Blonde Cafe in Angaston | walking to the playground in Angaston | saying hi to the kangaroos at Whistler Winery | sampling a little drop of red at Whistler Winery (photo credit to my sister Roxy)

Just saying. So its like this, last year I was talked into doing the Barossa Half Marathon (21.5 km for those wondering!) by the promise of  yummy Barossa food and wine at the end of it. 21 kilometres is a really long way! It really hurt. A lot. I ran with my sister, Roxy, and I suspect that with out her presence by my side I could not have done it. I had no intention of doing it again, until a friend sent out an email suggesting, lets do it again, we'll stay at the Tanunda Caravan Park again, indulge in the best of Barossa produce and generally have a blast. Oh and run 21km again!

I just registered this morning so there is no backing out now! Wish me luck!! On the plus side I am actually a little excited. I hope I can do it again, my training hasn't been as good this year, although Roxy and I did run 17km last weekend, so that's a good sign. And I am more than a little excited to spend some time with an awesome group of people. But especially to have that celebratory glass of bubbles after the race.

We're off camping this weekend, fingers crossed for nice weather. Hope you are doing something fun.

xx 

10 comments:

  1. Hey Sandra-Love it! I think I would even find a way to run 21km for a trip to the Barossa :)Maybe my 40th...hmmm...Have a great "glamping" weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that would be very fabulous and you should definitely do that!! Glamping was awesome, although possibly not the best way to look after my body the week before a half marathon!! ;-)

      Delete
  2. I am so out of shape... Haven't run in ages! Although with the promise of a good glass of wine afterwards I can see why you gave in so easily!!! Enjoy your half marathon, Sandra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Isobelle, I really am far to easily talked in to something that finishes with "there will be wine at the end!"

      Delete
  3. Hello Finally visiting:)
    Oh double well done ! I love your smile, are you sure it hurts? lol I find committing to put all these km in my legs before such a hard thing to keep at, I will do few weeks good and then fall of the track on third week...and start again! Any advices on trainning Sandra?

    PS:I did not realise you had a trip to Europe, I found you on IG after, hope you had a great time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandrine, Thanks for stopping by! The only way I can train is to run with a friend. I am not very disciplined at running by myself. (too easy to make excuses!) And when I run with a friend we can talk the whole time, so the time passes faster. It also explains why I am so slow, its hard to talk and run! x

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Ruby, I am especially looking forward to finishing!!

      Delete
  5. oh honey, you are awesome. a super woman. i'm so impressed! you ran 17km's last week, you'll kick ass at the half marathon! {i was excited because i walked/ran 3kms at the gym today.... hmmmm, might need to up my game xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha Leah more crazy woman than super woman. I only started running about 4 years ago with my next door neighbour. And we started off walk/running only 2km! Then she suggested we should aim for City to Bay (12km) then last year another friend suggested the half-marathon. I think it is just a good thing my friends are suggesting healthy stuff... clearly I am very easily led :-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Thanks for reading, I love it when people comment so, feel free to click on "comment" and let me know what you think (especially if you have something nice to say!)
ps if it says 0 comments and you change that to 1 you will make me smile x